This course is designed for candidates who wish to develop their knowledge, understanding and skills with regards to current good working practice when pruning. You will complete a mix of theoretical and practical sessions to learn different types of pruning available and the methods and techniques required to carry them out.
Upon successful completion you will be able to:
- Understand your personal duties and responsibilities
- State the possible hazards/risks when carrying out maintenance or operational tasks
- Produce a site-specific risk assessment for tree pruning operations
- State the principles of HSE legislation and safety guidelines relevant to tree pruning
- Select the appropriate PPE and state the maintenance requirements
- Select the appropriate equipment and state the maintenance requirements
- Understand the types of pruning and how, and when, each should be applied
- Demonstrate the principles of target pruning and how to apply them
- Prepare machinery and equipment for transport and storage
- Dispose of arisings appropriately.
You must have the following (or equivalent)qualifications before attending this course:
- Level 2 Award in Chainsaw Maintenance and cross cutting
- Level 2 Award in Felling and Processing Trees up to 380mm
- Level 2 Award in Accessing a Tree Using a Rope and Harness
- Level 3 Award in Aerial Tree Rescue Operations
- Level 3 Award in Aerial Cutting of Trees Using Free Fall Techniques.
Due to the nature of this qualification a minimum level of fitness would be required for specific operations. Whilst we would not want to disadvantage anybody it is an essential requirement.
Equipment & PPE Requirements:
You will need to bring:
A form of photo ID either valid driving licence or
Arborist Helmet, complete with full
mesh face shield and visor also ear defenders conform to 31SNR rating
Chainsaw trousers with a minimum of Class 1
protection and a minimum of Type A coverage
Non snag Clothing suitable for all
weather as you will be outside
Gloves – BS EN 381 – 7
Personal First Aid Kit
We recommend bringing your own Chainsaw,
Maintenance Kit, Pruning Saw and Climbing equipment. This will give the best
bringing your own kit, you will need to show proof of a full and in date LOLER
inspection of all equipment to be used.